Friday 30 November 2012

How I Met Monique

Kids, in the summer of  2007 I met your Aunty Monique...

I sat in the corner of my dorm room, waiting for life's new opportunities to present itself. It came in the form of a short, dark girl whose youthful exuberance shone through her big smile and her big piercing eyes, that said hello to me before she even opened her mouth. She was very friendly but also, very talkative but I didn't mind and I welcomed the friendly gesture with a convincing smile. We shared social pleasantries about our high school lives and our interests and expectations for university life; We were both so eager and happy  for the new found freedom of university.

Later that day while we were out walking the corridors and getting to know the other students I met a young handsome foreigner that day, but that's is another story.  We decided to go to a party that same night that was put on by the seniors for us. Later, it turned out to be another one of those tests by the seniors and even though we weren't meant to enjoy ourselves, we totally did. We got so drunk and we partied like there was no tomorrow... Rather, we watched everybody else partied and we did not drink a thing because I don't approve of that sort of stuff kids.

Kids, we became best friends that day and Aunty Monique is still one of my best friends today.

No comments:

Post a Comment